Try out this amazing recipe from The Adventure Bite! This dutch oven chicken & dumplings recipe is the perfect comfort food to have with family and friends around the campfire. This recipe serves around 8 people, will take about 20 minutes to prep your food, and an hour to cook. Enjoy and let us know what you think by sharing a photo to our Community page on Facebook!
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken 2-1/2 to 3 pounds, shredded or chunked
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 celery ribs sliced
- 3 medium carrots sliced
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Place chicken and water in a Dutch oven. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer; cook until chicken is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from kettle; bone and cube.
- Return chicken to kettle along with the onion, celery, carrots, celery seed, 1 teaspoon of sage, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- For dumplings, combine the biscuit mix, milk, parsley and remaining sage to form a stiff batter or use a can of biscuits.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls into the simmering chicken mixture.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.