BBQ Jackfruit Sandwich
- 20 oz can green jackfruit, drained and shredded
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 or 2 tablespoons vinegar-based hot sauce, like Crystal or Tabasco
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 buns
- Shredded cabbage or store-bought slaw
- Fresh cilantro
At home, combine all the BBQ sauce ingredients in a small sealable container and pack it in your cooler.
In camp, drain the jackfruit and using clean hands, shred the pieces, removing any tough bits. Dice the onion.
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the jackfruit and onion. Sauté until it begins to turn golden, then add ½ teaspoon salt. Cook until the jackfruit begins to brown on the edges, then add the BBQ sauce to the skillet and toss to coat.
To assemble, divide the jackfruit filling between the two sandwich buns, then top with the slaw and cilantro.