NYSDEC Announces to Play Smart * Play Safe * Play Local
We know that everyone is getting outside and practicing social distancing by hiking, going on trails, fishing, rock climbing, camping, and much more! Before your next adventure, be sure to read these tips from the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation in regards to enjoying the outdoors in a safe and responsible way!
New York State’s PLAY SMART * PLAY SAFE * PLAY LOCAL campaign encourages residents to engage in responsible recreation during the ongoing COVID-19 public health crisis DEC and NYS State Parks recommendations for getting outside safely incorporate guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the New York State Department of Health for reducing the spread of infectious diseases. This guidance urges New Yorkers to recreate locally, practice physical distancing, show respect for all outdoor adventurers, and use common sense to protect themselves and others.
Take the Pledge to PLAY SMART * PLAY SAFE * PLAY LOCAL: Enjoy the Outdoors Safely and Responsibly
- I pledge to respect the rules and do my part to keep parks, beaches, trails, boat launches, and other public spaces safe for everyone.
- I will stay local and close to home.
- I will maintain a safe distance from others outside of my household.
- I will wear a mask when I cannot maintain social distancing.
- I accept that this summer, I may have to adjust how I enjoy the outdoors to help keep myself and others healthy and safe, even if it means changing my plans to visit a public space.
- I will be respectful of others by letting them pass by me if needed on a trail and keeping my blanket ten feet apart from others on the beach.
- I will move quickly through shared areas like parking lots, trailheads, and scenic areas to avoid crowding.
- If I’m not feeling well, I will stay home.
Use the hashtags #PlaySmartPlaySafePlayLocal, #RecreateResponsibly, and #RecreateLocal on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to share how you get outside safely, responsibly, and locally.
What’s Local? Consistent with the NYForward phased reopening plan, DEC and State Parks are encouraging New Yorkers to recreate locally. New Yorkers getting outdoors should use common sense in planning outdoor activities and remember that public facilities like restrooms or other amenities may not be available.
Social Distancing Guidelines: Follow DEC’s guidelines for social distancing (PDF) while recreating outdoors.
Pack A Mask: New Yorkers are required to wear masks in public when appropriate social distancing cannot be maintained, including on trails, on summits, in parking lots and in the backcountry.
A new DEC Public Service Announcement reminds outdoor adventurers to Play Smart * Play Safe * Play Local while keeping natural areas litter-free.