The NYSDEC reminds us to #RecreateLocal and enjoy the outdoors responsibly!
Here is a message from the NYSDEC:
“DEC and the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (State Parks) are encouraging New Yorkers to engage in responsible recreation during the ongoing COVID-19 public health crisis. DEC and State Parks recommendations incorporate guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the NYS Department of Health for reducing the spread of infectious diseases, including practicing physical distancing, and using common sense to protect themselves and others. In addition, DEC and State Parks launched a new hashtag – #RecreateLocal – and advised New Yorkers to get outside and discover open spaces and parks close to home. Use DEC info Locator to find a DEC-managed land nearest you.
Getting outdoors to walk, jog, hike, ride a bicycle, fish, or visit a park or state lands is a healthy way to stay active, spend time with immediate household family members, and reduce stress and anxiety when practicing social distancing. While indoor spaces and restrooms at State Parks and DEC’s public facilities may be closed out of an abundance of caution to prevent community spread of COVID-19, many parks, grounds, forests, and trails are open during daylight hours, seven days a week.”
What are some activities?
Looking for more activities to do while you practice social distancing? Have you seen our Guide To Safe Outdoor Activities? If you haven’t yet, here are some of the activities you can do:
- Favorite Box – Get a box (shoe box, an old Amazon delivery box, etc.) and go on an adventure collect what stands out to you! Collect your favorite rocks, shells, acorns, twigs, and so on. Once you gathered everything, get creative and crafty and create something out of it when you get back indoors!
- Bird Watching – Learn more about the bird species in your area! Birding is always a fun popular activity to pick up!
- Create an obstacle course – Your world is your playground! Have fun with it and use things like chalk, hula hoops, tunnels, tape, and so on.
- Slackline – Try this out for your obstacle course or go at it alone. Strengthen your balance skills!
- Garden – You can’t go wrong with playing in the garden! Try out some new flower, herbs, whatever you’d like!
- Create a Fitness Challenge – Do you like to workout? Want to mix things up? Create your own program indoors or out! Make a loop outdoors where you can for a certain amount of time/distance, add in jump ropes, sit-ups, push-ups, kayak, or maybe parents vs. kids workout challenge! The sky is the limit!
- Bubbles – Who doesn’t love playing with bubbles? You can create your own bubble mix from home too!
- Potato Sack Races – Have the kids use older pillow cases for some racing fun!
- Ride a Bike – Avoid busy areas and try out some new biking spots near you!
- Go For A Hike – The Adirondacks is home to 46 high peaks plus many other mountains! You can’t go wrong with a good hike.
- Go Fishing – Fishing for some fun? How about casting the line and have a fish fry later?
- Camp – Camping in the backyard or in areas that you’re able to is still a great fun option! Plus, Blue Haven Family Campground and Resort, is still planning on being open for camping season for May 1st. Stay up-to-date with us on our website, social media channels, and through our company newsletter for more updates on opening plans.
- Walking on Trails – People are taking advantage of the outdoors so remember to be mindful of the safety and health of others when you go walking/running on the trails.
We hope you have fun out there and stay safe. Be sure to share your activity on Facebook with the hashtags, #GetOutdoors #RecreateLocal with us! At Plattsburgh RV Store, Experience The Difference.
We’re available by appointment! For inquiries regarding Sales & Financing, please email John LaBarge at jl@plattsburghrvstore today! If you would like a part, we’re offering curbside pick up! Just give us a call or text to see what we have in stock and to schedule when to pick up. Call or text us 9am-3pm Monday – Saturday!