Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, diced (to yield 1 1/2 cups )
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped into 1/4 inch cubes (to yield 2 cups)
- 2 cups broth
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons New Mexico chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 14 oz can chickpeas, drained
- 2 cups tuscan kale, destemmed and chopped
Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and saute about 5 minutes, until translucent and just starting to brown in spots. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the sweet potato, broth, tomatoes & their juices, peanut butter, chili powder, and salt. Stir well to ensure the peanut butter is thoroughly mixed in and there’s no clumps remaining. Simmer, uncovered, for about 15-20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
Once the sweet potatoes are tender, add the chickpeas and the kale to the dutch oven. Stir to combine and heat until the chickpeas have warmed through and the kale has wilted.